If you see abnormally high disk usage in your task manager accompanied by a process called sweet thoughts, you might wonder what it is. This article explains what Softthinks is, what causes the problem and how to fix it.
What is Softthinks?
Softthinks is basically a backup tool used to create backup files of your computer system. This utility helps you to restore your system to its previous state when the Windows operating system is damaged. But recently, users have experienced lag and high consumption of CPU and disk resources. It can also slow down your computer as it takes up a lot of disk space and creates system errors. Although it is a separate third-party backup program, SoftThinks Agent Service is also a component of Dell DataSafe local backup utility.
Softthinks Agent Service 100% Disk and CPU Usage on Windows 11/10
To resolve this issue, follow the suggestions below:
- Disable Softhinks Agent service
- Delete Softhinks Agent Service
Let’s see them in detail now:
1]Disable Softhinks Agent service
Several Windows users have reported that unwanted services slow down their SSDs and can cause high disk usage. If your device is using too much disk space, try stopping the service below and see if it helps:
- Launch the Run command by pressing Windows key + R.
- Type services.msc in the text field and press Enter.
- Locate it Softthinks Agent Service in the Services window, then right-click on it.
- Select the Properties context menu option.
- In the Start type drop-down menu, click Disabled.
- Then click on the Stop button to stop the execution of the Softhinks service agent.
- Click on Apply > OK then restart your computer.
See the following steps for more details on the steps listed above:
To start it, open the Services window. You can do this either by running it through the Run command or by searching for it in the Start menu. Now in the Services window scroll down and find the Softthinks Agent Service. When you find the service, right click on it and choose Properties from the context menu. The same can also be done by double clicking on it.
When the Properties window opens, you should be on the General tongue. After that, click on the drop-down menu next to the Start typethen select Disabled.
Also, if the service status is Running, click the Stop button. If the process has already been stopped, do not make any changes.
Once you are done, click on the Apply button and press OK to save the changes. Restart your computer.
Check disk usage after system reboot in task manager. Please refer to the next solution below if the problem persists.
2]Delete Softhinks Agent service
This solution requires you to remove the Dell Backup utility if it is no longer needed on your Dell computer. When you do this, the SoftThinks Agent service will be removed and the disk usage bug will be fixed:
- Open the Run command using Windows key +R.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the text field and click the OK button.
- Locate Dell Backup and Restore then select it.
- On the ribbon, click the Uninstall button.
- Click on the Yes button to continue the process.
Why does Softthinks consume so much disk and processor resources?
Backups of your existing files on your computer are the reason why this software consumes so many resources. This program has a timer or trigger that starts it at any given time. In some cases, stretching can use all disk space for a few hours.
- How to Fix 100% Disk, High CPU and Memory Usage in Windows
- What is Waasmedic Agent Exe and How to Fix High Disk/CPU Usage.